Having stomach cramps. Taking metformin. What can I use to reduce pain?

I am 51 years old. I have no uterus, no ovaries, and most importantly haven't had intercourse in 9 first I am NOT pregnant. However, all symptoms feel like I'm in labor. I only hurt this bad 32 years ago when I was in 28 hours of labor with my first born. I am a new diabetic and take metformin. Up until today I have attributed all stomach cramps and pains with this new, today...I don't know. I DO NOT want to go to the emergency room. I am home alone and that is not an option. Please tell me what I can try here?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 minutes later

Since the pain you have is of severe intensity comparable to the labor pain, I would not consider it to be due to Metformin induced flatulence.

The cause of the pain here could be either from appendix or pancreas.

If the pain is in the upper abdomen and in the upper back radiating through the abdomen the chances of the pain to be due to pancreatitis or pancreatic stones are more.

If the pain is as typical labor pain that is in the lower abdomen radiating from flanks to the umbilicus then the appendix could be inflamed.

The exact cause can be made only by a detailed examination or an imaging technique like Ultrasound scan. Since you are unable to visit the ER, I suggest you to empirically take anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen. As the base of the pain in you could most probably be due to inflammation, anti-inflammatory drug will surely help.

Take Tab Motrin 400mg stat (now) and continue twice daily after food for three days. This will help you get rid of the pain.

I sincerely recommend you to visit the ER as the best diagnosed condition is best treated.