Having stitches on lower lip. Having swelling. Have hard lump. Prevents from pronouncing words. What should I do?

Hello, I passed out and busted my lower lip which required stitches. The swelling has gone down and stitches finally dissolved a few days ago but I still have this hard lump on the inside of my lip. The lump prevents me from pronouncing words that start with "v" and "f" well and the lump gets sore by me talking and pressing against my teeth. The injury happened about 3 weeks ago. There is also a little numbness on the outside of my lip at the tip of this lump. Please tell me what I need to do about correcting this. Should I see a Dr. and if so...what kind of Dr should I see?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....this lump is because of hypertrophic scar tissue of lips.

Detailed answer...
This type of lump formation is very common to be formed on lips following injury or stitches on lips and it happens because of scarring of tissue.The fibrous tissue formed in the process of healing results in hypertrophied scar formation and is generally the maximum around 3 to 4 weeks after the injury.

There is nothing which has to be done now. You are advised to wait for 3-4 months It might get get better and if the lump is still there,then get the scar revised by plastic surgery.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck