Having stiff shoulder, tingling in hands and feet, headaches and anxiety. Awaiting root canal work. Are they related?

I constantly have a stiff shoulder each morning and I'm getting regular headaches. I have started to feel tingling sensations in my hands and feet. I am also suffering from anxiety. I am awaiting root canal work for a tooth where the nerve has died. Could this all be linked to the tooth or is something sinister going on?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 49 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

Let me tell you that the causes of tingling sensation in hands and feet could be due to either spinal cord problem, peripheral nerve problem and could also be due to tension/anxiety etc. Better to get evaluated by a local neurologist and if there are clinical signs of any of the problems that I have listed, you need tests accordingly for example spinal cord MRI and/or nerve conduction tests to know the cause of the problem. You need to check your blood glucose, calcium, thyroid etc. Your shoulder stiffness could be due to a part of these problems as I discussed. I do not feel that these are related to tooth problems.

Hope this clarifies
Best wishes
Follow-up: Having stiff shoulder, tingling in hands and feet, headaches and anxiety. Awaiting root canal work. Are they related? 21 hours later
Thank you. I had a health scare in January, the scan proved there was nothing there but I have since become overcome with the fear of cancer. My doctor prescribed me sertraline nearly 3 months ago and he has now transferred me to see a therapist. He won't listen to any of my symptoms. I admit that some issues were anxiety, such as upset stomach and sharp random pains all over my body, as this have now disappeared. But the headaches and shoulder stiffness are real. Could this be cancer? The shoulder stiffness goes away once I am up and about, and the headache seems to get better throughout the day. I'm not sure about the tingling. I do have a 1 year old that doesn't sleep well, I am therefore in a deep sleep when I do sleep and wondered if this was the cause of the shoulder tension? But why only in one shoulder? I'm also straining to pass stools at the minute (sorry!), they are more like rabbit droppings. Could this be dehydration? I will discuss my concerns with my therapist at my first appt a week on thursday, but just wondered what your thoughts were as my doctor won't listen. He says my symptoms keep changing. Yes the headaches are new, but worrying nonetheless. I never used to have them. Finally, could any of this be effects of the sertraline? Just to let you know also I had an epidural with my little girl a year ago, I still have a bruised feeling at the injection site. Could thus have caused nerve damage? Apologies for the long follow up, any response would be appreciated. Thank you....
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 48 hours later

I feel that your symptoms are related to anxiety only
I do not feel that your symptoms are not related to cancer

Best wishes
Follow-up: Having stiff shoulder, tingling in hands and feet, headaches and anxiety. Awaiting root canal work. Are they related? 27 hours later
Hi, can you please tell me how you distinguish between the two? My doctor said the same as you, that it's anxiety and not cancer as I have too many symptoms, but I have read somewhere that when cancer has spread this can affect the nerves and bowel movements. Sorry I am not nuts I'm just after clarification. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 19 hours later

It is not only the set of symptoms that helps distinguish us between the two, there are clinical evidence for example the clinical examination and other investigations will help us diffentiate between the two.

If your doctor after examination and investigations has told you that you do not have any problem, then you should trust it and enjoy the life.

No single clinical sign will help us differentiate but a group of signs will help.

Best wishes