Having stiff neck and pain in right shoulder. What am I suffering from?

Hi there, have particularly "stiff neck" has been coming/ going intermitently last few weeks - initially thought may have slept awkwardly - but now giving pain into my right shoulder and sometime very painfull when lifting my head from lying down position ...Any idea please what I may be suffering from ??
Thank you - Ian
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi !

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Dear Ian,

Looking into your problem in the history you haven't mentioned that did you any time suffer from injury prior to developing neck stiffness. The most common cause is injury to neck muscles generally caused by sleeping in a position that strains the neck muscles or in sports injuries, may be activity that involves repeatedly turning the head from side to side and poor posture. Other causes that need attention is cervical osteoarthritis or cervical disc problem.

I advise you to see an orthopedic surgeon who will examine the movements of neck and may want an x XXXXXXX cervical spine to look for any cervical disease and osteophytes. Well, you can take pain killers and muscle relaxants as advised by your doctor. Topical pain relieving gels can also be used. Sometimes if proper treatment is not done this will have a prolonged course so kindly seek medical help at the earliest.

Hope it answers your query .

Dr Shruti.