Having stiff feeling in knees. Feels painful. Having swelling on outer part. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up this morning with a stiff feeling in my right knee. It didn't feel swollen right away, but as I moved it I noticed that when I bend it to a 90 degree angle it bulges. It is painful and when I go to sit down it feels like it is giving out on me. The swelling is on the outer part of the knee.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
The stiff feeling in the right knee with a painful a lump without any history of injury to the area is likely to be due to bursitis- an inflammation of the bursae around the knee joint or hemarthrosis.
Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump.

Sometimes, a fluid filled structure just above the knee cap called supra patellar bursa is chronically inflamed, with or without pain, due to some infection or trauma and the process causes fibrosis and inflammation, making a lump like structure above the knee cap.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of lump under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.