Having stabbing pain in head, going to shoulder. Taking paracetamol but no help. Suggest?

Ive been havin a stabben pain in the right side of my head and it goes to my shoulder too,also the pain is all day even when i go to bed sometimes is more painful so i cant do much during the day,ive been taking paracetamol,trying ice pack but it seems that is not helping!!
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it can be a symptom of cervical spondylosis . It can be a manifestation of cervical osteophytes which compress upon nerves causing stabbing pain as you are mentioning .

I think you should consult a neurologist , get a cervical spine X XXXXXXX done to look for disease . Other possibilty can be migraine type of headache . You can try tramadol if your doctor recommends this for you. Exact cause can be determined by examination only .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti