Having squishy bumps on inner thighs. Feeling hard to touch. What might this be?

I have had a "squishy"bump in my inner thigh for probably 10 years...harmless, doesn't hurt, nothing. It is just like a squishy raised area and when you push on it, it just goes in, and feels almost like a hollow space beneath it. I have assumed it was a lipoma. Now suddenly, I notice that same spot is hard and when I pinch it up, it is a marble size hard nodule. It used to be when I pinched it, it was just like excess skin only, no substance to it at all. What might this be? Still painless and discovered it was now hard on accident.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

By all means, it seems like a benign swelling to me. Yes, as you say, Lipoma is very much a possibility. As it is long standing for 10 years now, it may have undergone secondary changes like fibrosis, degeneration that could have resulted in the hardness of the swelling now.

Alternatively, it may be a fibroma or a sarcoma.

An excision biopsy of the same and histopathological examination can confirm on the cause. It will also treat the condition surgically.

Please do write back, if you have more queries.