Having squeezing feeling in throat but no pain. Lose breath. What can this be?

ENT Specialist
for approximately a month or so I get a feeling in my lower throat as if somebody quickly squeezes my wind pipe then lets ago. it is very quick and there is never pain nor do I lose my breath. Some days it may happen only once, other days a couple of times and yet it may NOT happen for several days as well. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD,LPR,PND,Stress,CricoSpasm,Allergy,Cx Spine,AA

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Some of the common causes for such a feeling include:
a. Acid or Bile reflux (GERD or Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease)
b. Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR)
c. A Post Nasal Drip (PND)
d. Anxiety and stress
e. Cricopharyngeal Spasm
f. Food Allergy or Intolerance
g. Cervical spine irritation such as osteophytes
h. Aortic Arch (AA), heart or lung (mediastinal) problems.

2. Keeping the above list in mind, you will have to investigate and exclude each of these to arrive at a possible diagnosis. It is good to hear that heart and lung problems have been ruled out.

3. Get a videolaryngoscopy and a barium swallow study done. Some centers may have esophageal manometry and fibreoptic swallowing studies available.

4. Treatment will be based on the probable cause. You may follow up with your test and investigation results.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.