Having squeamish, had hysterectomy. Advice?

I had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago but since then have felt squeamish most of the time, any ideas?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The squeamish feeling is primarily due to the imbalance (in fact a sharp decrease) in the levels of estrogen that happened post the hysterectomy. And it would be detrimental to get a prescription for estrogen, as you have a history of breast cancer, which is a contraindication.

Another reason, equally likely can be both the drugs you are on. They are noted to cause nausea amongst other side effects. I would not as a doctor wean off those 2 important drugs just for some nausea.

So, go on home remedies like burnt toast and the likes, avoiding nauseating smells and oily food in case you have some food addictions. Lifestyle changes will help to get over the nausea.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.