Having spotting continuously for 6 weeks. Have had scan. Suggest?

My gp is sent me for an urgent scan XXXXXXX &extenal, havin spotting for 6weeks&ongoing and so she done and XXXXXXX and there was too much blood?suggestions..
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical trauma/ lesion

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

I seems like a cervical (outer rim of uterus) injury or lesion (may be due to intra uterine device for birth control )and you will need a scan to have it checked the underlying issues.

Their are chances of infection so please avoid water contact, sexual intercourse as well as no tampons, u may use the sanitary napkins till things gets looked.

Mean while if you are feeling weak, please have some sugar containing drinks like lemonade / coke/pepsi.

May need XXXXXXX fix with stitch. Nothing can be said sure with out looking inside.

Thanks for the query, please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.

Follow-up: Having spotting continuously for 6 weeks. Have had scan. Suggest? 11 hours later
I am not on birth control, i did have a baby 4months ago,maybe this??
I was told this may also be cervical cancer ??
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's early to say it may be cancer.

Detailed Answer:

Yes their are chances it may be cancer, still its too early to say it may be cancer.
The odds of having cervical cancer depends upon the various factors
1) smoking history
2) having a weakened immune system (HIV)
3) taking the oral contraceptive pill for more than five years.
4) having children (the more children you have, the greater your risk)

Now you have one factor positive that is giving birth to baby. I do not know if you are exposed to other risks too.

I would recommend you to calm down and have it checked. Yes I understand its very hard but you need to do it since a visual examination is need to check what is going on. As I mentioned their are various things that can cause it.

Please have it checked, It does appear on first to be matching to cervical cancer still examination is need to rule out other causes.

Thanks again. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Follow-up: Having spotting continuously for 6 weeks. Have had scan. Suggest? 10 minutes later
Thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am glad I could help

Detailed Answer:

Thanks again.