Having spots under toe. Painful to walk. How to heal this and get cured?

I have a spot under my big toe where it looks like skin has just bunched up to form a bump. I have picked at it and now it has stayed open for weeks and is still painful to walk on. Any idea on how to heal this and let the skin go down?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Most probably, it had been a corn or a callosity which best fits your description.
It is thickened akin due to repeated pressure n that area.
Since it is usually XXXXXXX it takes time to heal.
There is no specific medicine but general measures are helpful to hasten the healing process.
1. Keep the area clean and dry.
2. Pls keep it covered during walk to prevent contamination by bacteria.
3. Kindly apply antibiotic ointment if it very painful or appears red to eradicate the infection.
If u can upload a photo, it would be great.
Get well soon, regards
Surgeon and urologist.