Having sporadic pain in throat. Having high blood pressure. Feeling sore throat. What can be done?

Hi, I'm having sporadic pain in my throat. My throat isn't sore. It feels like its at the bottom of my neck. I did get sick this morning in my mouth but ended up swallowing it, very quick. I'm 29, weigh 250, height 5'5, female and have high blood pressure. No other health issues.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 50 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. It would be highly indicated for you to be examined by a physician who can do a careful ENT (ear, nose and throat) examination, as well as neck exam, focusing on palpation of thyroid gland and nearby structures, to see if your pain may be structural (for example, just an example, an enlarged thyroid gland that is creating compression), an inflammed ecrvical muscle or a problem in the pharynx (back of the throat). A general physician could be indicated, but ENT specialists have special equipment (eg. laryngoscope) that they can use easily at the bedside to directly look inside that anatomic region.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN