Having sporadic headaches followed by burning sensation in stomach. Diagnosed ulcers. Prescribed panadol. Do ulcers cause headaches?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have a 10 year old daughter who has been having sporadic headaches for a week. This has been followed by complaint of burning sensation in her stomach. I took her to a doctor who diagnosed ulcers. She was given medication for the ulcers and I was advised to give her panadol (children dosage) when she gets the bad headaches. She has been prescribed reading glasses and these have been provided. Last night she had a very bad headache.
Question: Are ulcers a cause of the headaches? She says that the ulcers have subsided, but she still gets the bad headaches.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

Ulcers are not very common in her age but it can cause headaches. It should subside gradually after ulcers heal. She can take even some stronger painkillers,she is old enough.
But also some other causes of headache can be considered if this persists.
Migraines can start at her age and some stronger medicines may be needed.
It can be migraine if she has associated nausea,vomiting, tingling around the face or vision disorders.
ALso, any respiratoy infection, ear-infection, sinusitis or enterocolitis can be manifested by headaches. Some psychosomatic causes as well.
All these are benign and usually pass spontaneosly within 2 weeks. But if this lasts for longer than this, you should do neurologic exam to rule out some rare,but serious diagnoses.
Wish you good health.If you have questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Having sporadic headaches followed by burning sensation in stomach. Diagnosed ulcers. Prescribed panadol. Do ulcers cause headaches? 2 hours later
Dear Dr Romic
Thank you very much for the helpful response. My daughter has no migraine associated symptoms that you have mentioned above, nor any of the other causes. However I will monitor her situation for the next couple of days and if I will get in touch if I have further questions.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 minutes later
Hi.
Well, then this is probably just tension headache and it should pass soon. She should just rest in dark room,avoid lights and noise and smoky areas, drink enough fluids and have enough sleep. I hope she ll feel better.

Follow-up: Having sporadic headaches followed by burning sensation in stomach. Diagnosed ulcers. Prescribed panadol. Do ulcers cause headaches? 13 minutes later
Hi Dr Romic
Thank you once again - will keep you posted.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 days later
Thank you too.