Having spinal pain. What causes blurring of the MRI?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my mri of spine came back blurry that re did it 3 times the person before me and after me mri returned clear and normal they told me that it would take 3 days to have my mri results..what does a blurry mri mean.keep in minde this is a guy running the machine they send mri to a qualified person who then returns them with a reading..I am able to get a copy of the mri in three days
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
The blurring of the MRI is caused by too much of patient movement or some metallic implant- even a dental filling or a replaced heart valve, etc.
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be related to a nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord. MRI report will help in finding out the exact level of compression and the extent of compression.
Meanwhile for symptomatic relief you can start taking methylcobalamin supplements and plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids orally.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having spinal pain. What causes blurring of the MRI? 41 hours later
I have constant pain where my s vertabrea meets hip but it shifts from left to right side and nerve pain goes down corresponding side..this is my mri result the doctor said i have to schedule a appointment and it will be two weeks before he can give me my reading..but i got a copy of the medical jargon..L1-L2 unremarkable....L2-L3 degenerative disc desiccation with maintenance of the intervertebral disc base height. There is a small intraoperative no herniation compatible with a tiny schmorls node. No focal disc herniation. minimal posterior arthropathy of the facet joints without significant foraminal encroachment..there is no central stenosis..L3-L4 no significant disc disease.the central spinal canal and neuroforamina are present.L4-L5 Degenerative disc desiccation with maintenance of the intervertebral disc space height. A concentric broad-based bulge is superimposed on bilateral posterior facet joint hypertrophy leading to bilateral mild neuroforaminal narrowing. No significant central stenosis. the exiting and traversing nerve roots appear unaffected. L5-S1 minimal concentric bulging of the disc without central stenosis or foraminal narrowing. Impression mild multilevel degenerative disc disease in the lumbosacral spine finding are most pronounced at L4-L5 where a concentric broad based bulge is superimposed on mild bilateral posterior facet hypertrophy leading to bilateral mild foraminal encroachment and no contact with the exiting or traversing nerve roots..I am military so it is safe to assume its a watered down diagnosis..but what does this mean and what are my options i have been to 4 months of therapy and it only agitates it more..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The MRI report is suggestive of degenerative changes in your lumbar spine causing the pain.
Since no nerve root compression is noted, the main treatment is bed rest with pain killers in combination with muscle relaxants.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Having spinal pain. What causes blurring of the MRI? 1 hour later
hard bed or floor increases pain incorrect posture lets me sit in a chair longer I am in the military there is ot such thing as avoiding strenuous activity is gonna be hard to do..physical therapy increased the pain..and I am allergic to tramadol it makes me sick sweat profusely and itch so bad that when i wake my legs are doctor says this is a normal reactions just the same i refuse to use codiene or any opiot
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
If the pain is severe then a bed rest is necessary till the acute pain subsides. You can use a hard bed with a cotton mattress to give good support to the back muscles. Physiotherapy can wait till the acute pain is controlled. Doing a hot fomentation and a L-S contour belt of appropriate size will help.