Having spasms in calf muscles, burning sensation and feeling weakness. Could I be dehydrated?

My calf muscles in both legs have spasms that come and go along with a XXXXXXX pain. I also may have pain in my quad muscles. It feels like I need to run...just run very hard and get the circulation going. Rubbing my legs feel feels like I need to soak in hotwater which does help sometimes. I exercise at least 3-4 times a week of walking/short running/ and swimming. I started having these symtoms last Nov. and would often have numbness or burning in different areas of the body that moved around.(like toe, then head, face, DIP joint, Ear, arch of foot). It was constatnly on the move. Kind of like a burning sensation along with weakness. I did see a neuro and he said he felt like it was anxiety based on the evaluation he did and my description of symptoms. I was wondering about MS but he said No...(he himself has MS). My husband did leave for Afghanastan in XXXXXXX and he felt like it was all related to that. He started me on Lexapro in Dec and by the end of XXXXXXX I did feel better. I stopped that med back in Apri as I was gaining weight and I do not need that. I take a Beta Blocker (for sinus tach and PVCs) that keeps weight on. My symptoms are back and I am so very worried. I had my vit. D check last year and it was very low and so was my B12. These symptoms always start in my calf muscles (bilat) and move to quad. It always starts like that. I can go to bed and wake with calf muscles so tight I have to stretch...then it will leave once I get going and then it may hit again. It feels like I need to be pulled....just pull my arms and my legs like traction. I am so worried, my dr said it is sever anxiety and to take the meds. Please help me. This is a strange feeling. I was tested for Lupus last year when this hit and it was neg. I have had 2 MRIs of the brain...years ago when I had milder but similar symptoms and nothing not nothing had changed or showed and I was showing symptoms when I was having the MRI. (it was only of the brain.) The neuro says that I do not need to test any further....he said he lives with MS and knows that this is not MS no need for a spinal tap but for a 37 y.o. for is very active and tries to stick to a good diet something is wrong. Why would I have buring in an area of the leave and it somewhere else totally different with spasms that come and go only in the quads and calf muscles???? Could I be dehydrated and not know it...I have had a complete hysterectomy and do not take hormones. Can u please help me>> is this MS?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

There are a couple of things which come to mind with the symptoms you report and none of them is life-threatening. More than that your symptoms do not fit in to the diagnosis of MS. There are many disorders which look like MS but are not MS and one of then is anxiety neurosis. The nearest possibility I can consider in you is the possibility of Fibromyalgia.

So I personally feel you are not suffering from Multiple sclerosis and CSF will not add to your diagnosis. I think the Neurologist is right in saying that most of the symptoms may be related to anxiety rather than a true Neurological disease. I feel it is worth considering the possibility of Fibromyalgia which closely mimics. Do discuss about this possibility with your Neurologist and get treated.

I want to reassure you that you are not suffering from MS and need not consider investigations for MS at this point of time. This is certainly not something that is not life-threatening.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.
Follow-up: Having spasms in calf muscles, burning sensation and feeling weakness. Could I be dehydrated? 4 hours later
I'm glad to hear this but you mentioned several other things could be going what? I have had some eye pain but no vision trouble so I had my eyes checked and all looked fine except for severe dry eyes. Like this morning...I woke...stood and calf muscles tightened...and an hour later the left felt OK but the right was still pulling and my left bicep felt fatigued. This is strange. Do you think it could be deficiencies....or this beta blocker that I have been taking for 11 years? Whatever this is it comes and moves around the body...and at times its just painful. I may go all day and be fine then by Nite it hit me....or I wake w/ symptoms and have them on and off all day. Sometimes it feels like my calf muscles or quads have ran a Marathon and just are fatigued. I'm constantly standing on my toes doing a stretch or plantar flexing to stop the tingling / tight feeling. Any Med suggestions? What test should I have run? We did an entire blood work up last November and all OK. ( I was having symptoms then) Whatever is going on
is so bothersome.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query

Regarding the dryness of the eyes, I feel it is not a sign of MS. Rarely it could be due to deficiency of tears or allergic conjuctivitis. Try using artfficial tears to wet your eyes.

Regarding the transient tightening, pulling of the muscles and fatigueness, I feel it to be non-specific and need no intervention except for strengthening exercises. As I mentioned earlier, Fibromyalgia, metabolic myopathies and inflammatory arthropathies can rarely present with such manifestations. I would like you to get certain specific blood tests like CPK, LDH, Rheumatoid factor, ESR, CRP, Calcium, Magnesium, Parathroid hormonethese and Thyroid profile to exclude disorders.

Do continue on physiotherapy to avoid fatigueness and stiffness. Beta blockers can rarely be associated with depression and I prefer you to stop for some time to see if some of the symptoms are related to this. Do consult your Neurologist after the blood tests to get your self examined for the possibility of Metabolic myopathy.

Dr Shiva Kumar R