Having sore throat with medium hard white stuff, redness in area. Hurts ear. Underlying cause?

I have a sore throat every two to three months. Only on one side. It appears to be a small hole with medium hard white stuff in it. If I remove it it will reappear within minutes. My throat in that area is red and my left ear hurts a litle. any ideas?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 46 minutes later

The symptoms you describe seems to be a tonsillolith that means the food particles and other foreign particles get collected in that area forming stone like hard mass leading to recurrent infection, which you say you get it every 2-3 months.

I would advise you to XXXXXXX an ENT surgeon and get a checkup done once to know what exactly it is, probably if it is severe enough you might need to go for tonsillectomy if your ENT surgeon advices.

The pain in the left ear could also be due to same infection spreading to ear though a tube connecting the throat and the ear.

For now, you can take a course of antibiotics for 5-7 days and painkillers if the pain in the ear is severe.
Steam inhalation would also decrease the swelling in the ear and help in pain relief.

You can XXXXXXX your doctor and decide on further management after getting a checkup done and discussing the exact problem.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani.