Having sore throat, trouble while swallowing, severe coughing and runny nose. Pins and needles sensation in throat. Suggest the treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
I've had a sore throat and trouble swallowing for the past 5 days. I have also had severe coughing spells and a runny nose. Now I have a pins and needles sensation in my throat each time I swallow. Do I need antibiotics or can this problem be fixed with OTC meds?

I have been taking cough medicine with pseudo ephedrine
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid antibiotics if no fever / worsening symptoms

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. You may avoid antibiotics if there is no fever, increasing pain, swelling, difficulty in swallowing or breathing.

2. Pseudo-ephedrine may increase the cough as it may cause dryness in the throat.

3. Use an OTC anti-allergic medication (such as Cetirizine) along with a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol), an anti-inflammatory and a medicated gargle to soothe the throat.

4. If there is no improvement soon or if there is any worsening of symptoms, get yourself examined by a doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having sore throat, trouble while swallowing, severe coughing and runny nose. Pins and needles sensation in throat. Suggest the treatment? 20 hours later
Thank you for your response, Dr. Bhatti. I went to my local ER this morning and I was told that my infection is viral and I must wait it out. I was given Robitussin cough medicine as well.

I will try the medicated gargle.

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anti-allergic, mucolytic, gargle, rest, hydration

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Request your physician for a prescription of an anti-allergic, mucolytic medication.

2. A medicated gargle will help. Get adequate rest and keep yourself warm and well hydrated.

3. Robitussin is a powerful cough suppressant.

Wish you a speedy recovery,

Regards.