Having sore throat, tender glands, night sweats after travelling

My daughter just flew down to Argentina and has a sore throat, tender glands, and night sweats as well as a clammy sweat when she gets up and walks. What could it be?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 42 minutes later

The symptoms you describe are consistent with an acute infection. There are so many possibilities for which type of infection that it is impossible to hazard a guess via email. Most acute infections in healthy individuals are mild and resolve on their own. Typically, of one does not have "red flag" symptoms, such as high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, profound lethargy, mental status changes, shortness of breath, protracted vomiting or diarrhea, inability to hold down fluids or bloody sputum, then it is safe to give it several days to see how the symptoms evolve.

Having said this, only a treating clinician can give you a definitive answer to this question after clinical evaluation.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz