Having sore throat, stiff neck with low grade fever. Malaise and fatigue. Took doxycycline. Advice?

I work in a DR clinic . We saw several sore throat/stiff neck. Malaise & I am having these symptoms! My DR from the clinic I's now on VACATION. I have some doxycycline 100mg left @ home. Low grade fever w/ sore throat. Should I start taking these till I go back on Monday and see the Pac.???
I can't miss work or get sick......thx
We did three strep test that day- all were negetive
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 48 minutes later

It is good that strep sorethroat is ruled out. It could be viral infection or other local endemic bacteria.

You seem to have contracted the infection, hospital acquired. For health personnel working in clinics/hospital setting it makes sense to start with empirical dose of antibiotics even before the actual infection is confirmed.

I am not sure about the antibiotic protocol in your hospital or locality. You seem to be working with your doctor closely, you should know if the Doxy is regularly prescribed.

I still suggest a days of rest, antibiotic and ample hydration with good nutritious food. It helps to get better in a day rather than suffer for half a week with out rest and antibiotic course.

Hope this helps.