Having sore throat, purple red patches at the hard and soft palate. Having bloody loose stools. Is it strep throat?

I came down with a sore throat5 days ago.. there are purple red patches at the hard and soft palate... throat feels better now but I've got a fever off and on and am having loose stools that resemble jelly/ mucous and are orange and yellow with blood in some. I'm retaining fluids as the scale has been going up instead of down even though I'm drinking.. eating bland food.. I'm concerned because I have a weak immune system. I'm certain this is strep but could it be more?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Most of the upper respiratory tract infections are viral in nature and can cause problems else where too. As you mention purple red patches in the palate, blood in stool and retaining fluid I suggest that you consult your doctor who may like to run a battery of tests which shall include bleeding and clotting profile.

A strep throat infection does not cause the problems that you have mentioned. In case you are taking amoxicillin or ampicillin antibiotic for the strep then the loose stools can be explained due to the medicine.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal