Having sore throat, painful to swallow. Took ibuprofen. Noticed big purple bump with white patches near tonsil. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My daughter woke up yesterday with a very sore throat, painful to swallow. I gave her ibuprofin and she was feeling better. This morning she freaked out because she used a flashlight and saw a big purple bump with white patches near her tonsil. I looked at it, and it is pretty gross. She can feel the bump, it is painful, and she also has pain from the outside on her neck. It is Sunday and I am looking for an urgent care that is open. She is really very distraught. I told her it was probably inflammation from a virus and not to worry, but I confess I am worried myself!
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

She doesnt need to be distraught,this is nothing serious. this is probably not viral infection, it looks like bacterial streptococal tonsilits which is common condition and you dont have to be concerned because it is not an emergency. She probably needs antibiotic treatment course,ibuprofen can only be symptomatic treatment. YOu can visit some ENT ER and get antibiotic or ask for it at pharmacist or wait till tomorow,nothing serious can happen. SHe should just drink plenty of fluids, avoid cold beverages, swallow few spoons of honey and take paracetamol or ibuprofen if this is painful. WIsh you good health. Regards