Having sore throat, noticed bleeding nose. Help?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat on and off for the past few weeks. I've rested and kept hydrated and it went away but now it is back. I also have been getting bloody noses constantly and that's never happened before. No other symptoms. Please help!
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have had a symptoms of a cold, then the nasal bleeding (epistaxis) may be explained due to dryness in the nose. If the bleeding is anterior, it is usually from Little's area in the front end of the nasal septum where four blood vessels XXXXXXX

2. Your recurrent sore throat may also be due to a Post Nasal Drip due to cold, sneezing, runny nose, nasal allergy or sinusitis.

3. If you did not have a cold, it is better to get the nose examined and get a nasal endoscopy done. Also you must get routine blood tests and a coagulogram. Get your blood pressure checked.

If the bleeding is minor, there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Having sore throat, noticed bleeding nose. Help? 24 hours later
I don't have any symptoms of a cold. If it is post nasal drip from allergies, what would you recommend I take over the counter? I had Veramist nose spray for my allergies when I felt them coming on and I was wondering if perhaps that started the nose bleeds. I have not used it since, but in the past I've used it without problems. The bleeding is minor and usually dried up but present daily. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Veramyst is a steroid nasal spray and probably the cause of your minor nose bleeds.

2. The best way to ascertain this is to discontinue the Veramyst. It is better to avoid steroid nasal sprays during an active infection.

3. OTC medications are best avoided. Steam inhalation would have been fine, but you should avoid it when there are nose bleeds. Saline nasal drops will help. Get a prescription from your doctor for the anti-allergic medication. Your doctor can then decide regarding a decongestant (oral or local drops) and mucolytic.