Having sore throat, hard to swallow, getting burps and burning sensation. Advise?

Hi I started sneezing alot a few days ago and thought it might be hay fever but now I have a really sore throat & it is hard to swallow I get a burning sensation my neck feels stiff & achey and I keep getting hiccups didn't really want to go sit and wait in surgery if it prob viral
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 5 hours later

Thanks for posting query.

From your history it seems that you are having acute upper respiratory infection of your throat. This might be involving your throat and tonsils as well. The infection may be responsible for neck stiffness pain and burning sensation.

Before opting surgery, we can always try to handle and treat the situation with medicines. Antibiotic treatment would be necessary if the cause is related to bacteria. Besides the antibiotic decongestant and anti-inflammatory medicines will be able to control and cure the problem.

As these drugs are not over the counter, I encourage you to consult your local physician and get a prescription. In the interim,
Avoid cold drinks, junk food.
Do hot water or antiseptic liquid gargle.

Surgery is not required unless you get repeated infection with bad tonsils. So do not worry.

I hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please write back to us.