Having sore throat, fever, achy and pinky finger with tingling sensation. Suggestion?

Morning I've had flu like symptoms w a sore throat, feverish, achy but also the pinky and roughly half the ring finger on the right hand are tingly. The first day I couldn't write and barely brush my teeth, yesterday functionality was significantly better. What r ur suggestions?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

It would be important to know whether this is the first time you experienced such a condition or not? Did you take any drugs? and if so, what type of drugs did you take?

The symptoms described are suggestive of an infectious process, most probably viral. This is because of the short duration and rapid amelioration. It is not unusual to experience some weakness after a viral infection. Viral infections at times cause fatigue due to temporal reductions in levels of Vitamin C. This is the reason why in most post viral states, your doctor my prescribe early morning doses of Vitamin C to ameliorate the weakness. It becomes an issue when the fatigue becomes persistent. The degree of weakness differs from individual to individual and also from one virus type to the next.
Some bacteria could also cause sore throat and fever, but under those circumstances, symptoms are usually more intense and last longer.

My suggestion is certainly that it was a viral infection which was well handled by your immune system with appropriate responses. Do not hesitate consulting your family physician if symptoms do continue reappearing or if you experience extra symptoms for other pathologic processes to be evaluated and excluded.

Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health.
Luchuo, MD.