Having sore throat and head congestion. Took azithromycin. Having runny nose. What can I do?

I started about 2 weeks ago with a sore throat and head congestion, (not really nasal, cause i could breath through my nose) but my head and ear canals were plugged... I took a three day course of zithromycin and the mucus changed from the yellowish XXXXXXX to clear and the head congestion has eased... however, now two weeks later my voice is strained when i talk it feels like it's taking so much effort... and i have a persistant runny nose, and my ears are still somewhat blocked... What can i do?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

It looks like you had a bad bacterial pharyngitis for which you were given the right antibiotics.
I would like to add here that fever regresses almost immediately in pharyngitis but other symptoms like fatigue, change of voice and pain while swallowing, etc takes about 3-4 weeks to resolve.
The ideal thing for you to do now is to

1. Gargle your throat three twice a day with betadine gargle, if you don't like the taste you can try warm salt water instead
2. Anti histamines like levocetrizine at night will help, please ask your doctor for a prescription
3. Avoid cold foods and beverages. Whatever you eat and drink should be warm

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries I will be happy to reply

I wish you a speedy recovery