Having sore throat after kissing. Can it be STD?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I "frenchkissed" a guy over the weekend nothing else happened but I now have a slight sore throat could I have picked up any form of std by kissing with tongues??
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is more probable some other infectious disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
Some STD can be transmitted by saliva,but most common this is some bacterial or viral infection which cause upper respiratory and throat inflammation. So it should pass like any other flu in 3-10 days. Most common are mononucleosis, herpes infection or streptococal infection
The only STD which can be considered is herpes which usually cause blisters and tingling sensation in lips and throat but sometimes it can be asymptomatic.
Other STD such as gonnorhea and clamydia can cause throat infection only if there was oral sex. HIV and hepatitis cant be tranmissed on this way of course.
So I suggest to treat yourself as any other throat pain with lot of fluids intake, warm teas, honey and ibuprofen or similar painkillers.
If it persists for 3 days or progresses you should just visit GP for basic examination to verify is antibiotic necessary. if you have swollen neck lymph nodes and general fatigue it may indicate mononucleosis and then you need to visit doctor.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Having sore throat after kissing. Can it be STD? 31 minutes later
Thank you for the speedy reply Dr, our clothes stayed on through out the whole experience so no sexual or oral intercourse it's probably me just being paranoid but I have a tickle in my throat I've measured my temperature which is normal 37degrees Celsius but I feel clammy.

Sorry for being paranoid
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dont worry. Many people are paranoid nowadays and always think of the worst. usually patients are afraid of Acute retroviral sy as soon as they feel some throat pain or flu symptoms but this is completely unnecessary fear since we all know how is std tranmissed. Just enjoy in your life and use protection. Wish you good health.