Having sore ear. Having salty taste in mouth. What is wrong? Suggest some treatment

My ear is sore and the bone under ear where jaw opens and closes. Also under jaw dont know if it is my gland or not but is painful. I can have a salty taste in my mouth. I do suffer from ulcers and the side of my cheek where ear is sore feels raw. Could you please help with what is wrong and treatment
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Based on the description of your symptoms, you most likely have either of the two possibilities.
1. External ear infection, otitis externa.
2. Salivary gland infection - Parotitis.

It is more likely to be due to parotitis.
You have painful gland below the jaw, ear pain, salty taste in mouth and soreness of cheeck on the same side. It is likey due to involvement of the parotid gland on the same side.

It is a salivary gland located just beneath the ear lobe and just behind and below the jaw bone. Its duct opens into the cheek oposite the upper molars on the same side. Thats why such soreness of cheek.

You would need to do the following.
You must take a course of antibiotics such as Augmentin (Amoxycillin + Clavunate). Also take an analgesics. This would usually settle in 48 hours.

If not, you must consult an ENT specialist to rule out associated conditions.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran