Having sore and painful neck. Could it be an ear infection?

i woke up two nights ago with a sore/painful neck. my left side more than my right. when i touch it,put pressure on the left side back of my head its tender.. Im not sure if its they way i have slept a couple nights ago or if its something else like an ear infection?.. please help..
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

The pain that you are having can be due to cervical spondolysis or due to it muscle spasm of the occipitalis and other muscles of the scalp. The spasm can be so intense that the muscle will feel bruised or sore even after the tension has been released.These muscle spasms may then cause primary headache like tension headache.

It does not look like an ear infection but looks like to be due to muscle strain.

Apply alternate warm and cold compresses and take some over the counter NSAID analgesic(pain reliever) like ibuprofen(advil/motrin) or acetaminophen after consulting your doctor. Application of muscle relaxant to the part is also helpful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.