Having soar throat and sore neck. Strep test negative. Having white stuff behind tonsils. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have been having soar throat and sore neck when I touch it for about 10 days now. I went to my doctor and she gave me zpack, which i took for the full course, but I still have the same symptoms. Went again yesterday, they did a strep test and it was negative. My throat looks red and there is reddish spots on the back of it. I also see some white stuff behind my tonsils. I don't know what to do?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query and a detailed description.

After going through your description, I do feel you are suffering from a condition called acute tonsillo-pharyngitis.

The appearance of redness and the red spots over the pharyngeal wall are the signs of inflammation and acute infection in the throat. Similarly, the white slough over the tonsils is also because of active infection. The streptococcal test was negative because you had already taken z-pack and the organism does not grow after taking antibiotics.

Finally, Z-pack is not the drug of choice for acute tonsillitis. You need to take antibiotics such as combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime.

Apart from this, you need to follow the adjuvant therapy such as:
1. Drinking plenty of warm water
2. Taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac
3. Povidone iodine throat spray or gargles 3-4 times a day after food
4. Avoiding chilled/hot food and beverages, coffee and smoking/alcohol if any
5. Also, you can try taking a short course of oral steroids which will relieve your symptoms immediately

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Having soar throat and sore neck. Strep test negative. Having white stuff behind tonsils. What to do? 4 hours later
hello,
thank you so much for your answer. I am wondering if penicillin would also work instead of amoxicillin?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Penicillin is a wonderful drug, you can definitely use it. If the infection is resistant to penicillin, then you can try taking the antibiotics as mentioned in my previous response.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon