Having sneezing, sinus, head ache. Took sudafed. Felt lots of pressure in ear. Side effect?

I started sneezing alot about 3 days ago then on the 3rd evening I got a horriable sinus pressure headache only on the left side, I took sudafed and went to bed. Got up next morning and the left ear was pluged lots of pressure felt hot and hurt on the outside of the ear couldn't hear. Now the ear feels pluged up can hear now, still very sore on the outside.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Such problem occurs when infection from the nose gets into the middle ear cavity through what is known as eustachian tube. This tube connects the middle ear and the nose. This happens when a person has cold.

So the infection from your nose spread to your middle ear and the tube gets blocked. Because of the increasing pressure there you will have pain, difficulty in hearing, etc. If the problem is unattended then the tympanic membrane (the ear drum) gets ruptured resulting in ear discharge.

So consult your doctor who after confirming the diagnosis will prescribe analgesics, decongestants, antibiotics as required. If the sinus problem persists that may also require antibiotics.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics