Having sneezing, hay fever, sore throat and hard to swallow. Feeling burning sensation and stiff neck. What to do?

Hi I started sneezing alot a few days ago and thought it might be hay fever but now I have a really sore throat & it is hard to swallow I get a burning sensation my neck feels stiff & achey and I keep getting hiccups didn't really want to go sit and wait in surgery if it prob viral
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 25 days later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

This is a very common dilemma with many of your patients.

If your can understand the course of the disease, that will help you to make a firm decision.

According to the history it as started as a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract.

Most of the times it is self limiting.
To get relief from the symptoms rest and paracetamol will help.

But in other cases it may be secondary infected with bacteria and that is where the trouble starts.

There antibiotics are needed to cure the infection.

Hiccups here may be due to Gastritis induced by infection or drugs.

1. Good intake of oral fluids.
2. Rest.
3. Analgesic.

If the conditions does not improve with the above measures then it is strongly recommended to consult your doctor for management.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.