Having smoking and alcohol habit. Having acidity problem, soreness and burning sensation in mouth. Further tests needed?

Dear Doctor,

I am a male 32 years old. I have smoking and alcohol habit since last 10 years . Also I have acidity problem. A month back I visited Indian Cancer Society (Cancer detection centre) for cancer screening. They Have done Chest X XXXXXXX Collected 3 to 4 drops of blood sample on glass slide for some kind of test and physical examination by ENT in month. All the reports are normal. However I have a feeling that ENT has not examined not thoroughly as he was in very hurry.

I have following symptoms till now.
1)     Soreness with burning sensation in Throat for more than one years.
2)     Mild burning sensation in mouth
3)     Group of white coloured dots on my cheek from inside.
4)     Heaviness in Chest.
5)     Breathing discomfort
6)     Very mild pain feeling on chest.
7)     I am started losing weight in last on year.
8)     Feeling weak

I am scared about Lung/Oral/Throat cancer. Tell me the possible consequence. Also Please tell me what all test needs to be done considering above screening test and symptoms. To whom should I consult on all above matters. Oncologist? Dentist? Chest specialist? Or ENT?.

I wants to be double sure. What all test needs to be done, to whom should I consult and what will the approximate expenses for the test you are going to suggest. Also give some reference of specialist to consult on above matters.

Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

From your description it seems like oral infection and some symptoms of gastro-intestinal reflux. The white dots inside the mouth maybe a fungal infection. It may also be the cause of weight loss, if it is wide-spread. The reflux of stomach contents into the throat seem to be producing the symptoms of burning in throat, breathing difficulty and chest heaviness.

Still it is good idea to rule out cancer etc. Biopsy of the lesion is the best test to diagnose lung/oral/throat cancer. X-rays and other radiography are indicated after physical examination suggests a cancerous growth. Some lung cancers may not be detectable on X-ray and may be better seen on a CT-scan. Another tests that may suggest something ominous is complete blood count. I think this test has already been conducted on you and has come back negative. Also get the blood glucose measured. A detailed blood examination may be done.

Since your doctor has examined your oral cavity, he would be better able to suggest if you need more tests for oral or throat cancer.

I will still suggest you some life-style changes to manage your health:

1. Eat fruits and vegetables at least five times a day. Eat lots of pure water to flush out toxins from the body. Take hygienic and nutritious diet. May take protein supplements in addition to diet to maintain your weight. Take more of milk.

2. Stop smoking and alcohol.

3. May try antacid medicines for burning in throat like gelusil, etc

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee