Having smelly vaginal discharge. Temporary relief from yeast infection cream. Effective remedy?

Mar 2016

For almost a year I have been having a smell come from my are down below. I tried using the cream for yeast infections because I was told it was kinda mild and that I have a mild discharge. Would a gynecologist help or is there something I can do to "clean it"?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later

According to your clinical feature, you are mostly suffering from vaginal infection for long time. It may be either yeast infection (if itching persists) or bacterial vaginosis. Though it is required to be confirmed by one vaginal swab test & culture of the discharge in specific media. Smear of vaginal discharge for microscopic examination is also important to rule out specific causative agent.

Proper antimicrobial drug therapy like Metronidazole/ Tinidazole for 5-7 days are quite effective to treat bacterial vaginosis. In case of vaginal yeast infection, you can take oral anti fungal medication (like clotrimazole/ miconazole) along with vaginal suppository at bed time for one week.

You should eliminate some aggravating factors like hypothyroidism, frequent sexual intercourse, contraceptive pill, bad genital hygiene, broad spectrum antibiotics which can alter normal vaginal flora.

Here, you need to consult with your gynecologist to proceed pelvic examination and guide you to undergo above said investigations to pin point the diagnosis.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself. Take healthy diet with anti oxidant supplement (zinc/ selenium), drink plenty of water, complete avoidance of condom/ chemical cosmetics/ bath products. Avoid all kind of sexual activity till it is completely treated.

Dr Soumen