Having small pinching pain in chest. What test should be done to diagnosed the problem?

Hello Doctor,
My wife is having small pintching pain in the chest, it is arount lower part of rib cage& the muscles near heart. Could you please let me know how to go about it and what all test needs to be done to diagnose the problem. Please guide.

Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
There are number of causes for lower chest pain like muscular spasm, heart related issue, Plural effusion or infection, Digestive system related problem. To make your investigations cost effective, I want some more detail for the history of pain. So that I can guide you measures to get to a diagnosis and that help you in getting relief:
1. What is the duration of the pain?
2. Is the pain continuous or not?
3. What factors aggravates or reduces your pain?
4. Does pain increases with exertion and associated with shortness of breath?
5. Any history of fever like Typhoid fever or cough?

Hope you will answer to the queries I have asked as soon as possible. I will be happy to help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh