Having small, painful growth in anus. Having diarhoea and painful swollen joints. Had colonoscopy. Feeling uncomfortable. Suggestions

General Surgeon
I have a small, painful growth blocking the entrance to my anus. I have suffered from stomach problems - bloating, occasional diarhoea, painful swollen joints - back of one hand, knuckle of small finger, ankle and shins over the past 3 years. I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago that discovered inflammation in the lower bowel - I am to go bak next week for a follow up x-ray. Rheumatologists can find nothing wrong with my joints. I need to see my GP tomorrow as this growth in my anal entrance is becoming quite uncomforatble. Please advise??? Totally at a loss as to what might be wrong wit me
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Let me start with some explanation. Healthy immune system protects us from XXXXXXX factors from external world including bacteria, viruses etc. Due to bacteria or virus appearance in the body, immune system gets activated, recognizes bacteria as a harmful factor and destroys it.

Sometimes (usually for unknown reason) immune system does not work property. Due to unknow issue, it starts recognizing our own body cells as a harmful factor. And as a consequence tries to destroy this cells. Such disease is called autoimmune disease.

Now stomach problems, bowel inflammation seems to be a symptoms of such disease. This disease group is called inflammatory bowels disease (it can be Crohns disease or ulcerative colitis). In such case, our immune system attacks intestine cells. Joints inflammation can be the first symptom of such disease (can appear even few years before bowels symptoms).

Most common symptoms of inflammatory bowels disease (depending how advanced it is) are diarrhea, constipation, blood in stool, mucus in stool, abdominal pain, bloating, weight loss, low hemoglobin level, weakness.

Growth in the anal entrance can be related to the inflammation (rectal fistula or an abscess) or it can be a hemorrhoid or sentinel pile (which associates anal fissure).

Abscess or fistula are painful, hard and swollen. Hemorrhoid is usually painless, soft and can be grey-blue. Anal fissure gives strong pain when passing the stool.

I`m not sure if an X-ray will tell anything about your bowel condition. You should rather get colonoscopy samples results (samples for histopathology should be taken during the colonoscopy). I suggest you to visit gastroenterologist for proper diagnostic and treatment.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.