Having small fleshy thing hanging out of anus. Used preparation H ointment. Chances of hemorrhoids?

Excellent

Question
Hi.

I am a 28 year old female. I have a small fleshy pink thing hanging out of my anus. It is not itchy but it's very noticeable. I have purchased Preparation H ointment, but since I have never had a hemorrhoid, Im not too sure if this is a hemorrhoid?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 40 minutes later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

It will be nice if you mention whether the lump is always present or it retracts on its own, whether it is associated with pain or not and whether you notice any blood while passing stool.

It might be Second-degree hemorrhoids - Hemorrhoids that prolapse and retract on their own (with or without bleeding) or Third-degree hemorrhoids - Hemorrhoids that prolapse but must be pushed back in by a finger.

Over-the-counter corticosteroid creams to help reduce pain and swelling. Hemorrhoid creams with lidocaine to help reduce pain. Stool softeners help reduce straining and constipation. I advice you to wear cotton undergarments. Avoid toilet tissue with perfumes or colors, use baby wipes instead. Sitz baths can help you to feel better. Sit in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes.

As mentioned above it is difficult to predict without examination, you can try these conservative approach. If it is not helpful then for exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Having small fleshy thing hanging out of anus. Used preparation H ointment. Chances of hemorrhoids? 6 minutes later
Thank you.

I feel like the lump has been present for a long time (but has recently got MUCH larger) and I have had bleeding while passing stool, but a small amount of blood on the toilet paper. Also feels as though I could never get clean after passing stool.

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 15 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

I think it is most likely to be Third-degree hemorrhoids, I advice you to see surgeon for examination, after examination only one can decide the best possible treatment for it. It will be better if you consult the surgeon as you have mentioned it has increased in size recently.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.