Having small dot on lower calf. Having itchiness. Remedy?

Hello, I had a small dot on my outside lower calf it was small and intensely itchy. I scratched it and the itch became terrible and then in the middle it became a hole and went black. It was unbearably itchy but it seemed odd so I left it alone hoping it would go away. It took about a month to heal and the colour is light now but never really went away much. Now 3 months later its back itching constantly but i never scratch it as i dont want the hole to come back. I now have the same sensation on my outside right arm that the first one started like 4 months ago. I have no confidence in my doctors as they have lost a lot of my medical records. I dont trust them.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later

It looks like a condition called prurigo. As you give history of working as a landscaper, there is a chance of insect bite. Sometimes the insect bite allergy can persist for long time becoming prurigo.
You will need a potent topical steroid to apply twice a day over the spot. An oral antihistamine daily for 2 weeks also will help.

You can get antihistamine by your dermatologist.

Hope this helped. I will be happy to answer any further queries you have.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Having small dot on lower calf. Having itchiness. Remedy? 18 hours later
I am allergic to anti-histamines and anti-inflamitaries and it is not an insect bite. When I scratched it I could feel as is it was attached to things inside my leg. It is like a small shiny perfectly symmetrical shiny dome, it has been evident for a year and is now again intensely active.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 hours later
Welcome back
What you have looks like prurigo nodularis. Not every prurigo nodularis is due to insect bite. I suggested that because in your case there are only few lesions scattered over exposed areas.
A face to face consultation is always better than a photograph and I have opined based on the history and photo you sent.
I will recommend you to consult a dermatologist for assessment and diagnosis. A skin biopsy also will help confirm the diagnosis.
Causes of prurigo can be psychological stress or anxiety, idiopathic (unknown),insult or trauma to skin, liver problems, kidney problems etc.
You have a mild form of prurigo which made me think of insect bite.

The lesion does not look like it is attached to anything inside. It is on the skin. Do not worry.

One person cannot be allergic to all the anti histamines and anti inflammatories. From history the tablet which caused allergy should be identified and another antihistamine from another family can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you good health.