Having small bumps on upper arm. Prescribed topicort. Bump started discolouring. Should I be concerned?

Question
I have 5-6 small bumps on my skin on the inside of my upper arm that resemble bug bites. I went to a dermatologist who was unsure of what they were, but gave me a prescription for Topicort .005. The bumps start out flesh color, but as they shrink back down, turn darker. Eventually, they go away. After the occurrence, the started up two weeks ago. I started Topicort again, 3 times a day. yesterday one of the bumps turned dark purple, with little dots around the skin on the outside. NO PAIN, just discolored... Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

No need to worry about discoloration of bumps. It is usual process of any skin lesion while fading away.

It is only when you experience pain/ increased size or shape of lesions/ bleeding from lesion; you need to worry.

As you are applying steroid, the likely inflammatory bumps are just fading away. No need to apply cream for 3 times a day. Make it twice daily application.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Having small bumps on upper arm. Prescribed topicort. Bump started discolouring. Should I be concerned? 2 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. So the fact that the bump in a matter of minutes quickly changed to dark purple should not be a concern? It was only 1 of the 5 or 6 that changed the dark color. Could I have broken a blood vessel while putting the cream on? Thank you again for your response!

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Belief that broken blood vessel while applying cream is not correct.

Our skin is not that delicate , in addition to that we have fat tissue, muscles to protect vessels against any force. Force while applying cream is negligible.

So do not worry for color change. If it remains discolored for months together and increases in size, then you need to consult dermatologist.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Revert back for further clarification if required.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.