Having small bumps in labia minora. What are the chances of having STD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Good
Question
Hi, I'm an 19 year old girl. I have a bunch of very small bumps in my labia minora. They don't hurt, or itch and they are the same color as my labia(pink). I want to know what this is, but I'm too ashamed to really ask a doctor, and I feel disgusting. I'm a virgin, so I'm not sure if this could be and std or sti. Please help me.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

the possible causes for your symptoms are,

-Human papilloma virus infection: though it is thought that HPV will spread by sexual contact, it can also be seen in virgins due to skin to skin contact, because of waxing etc, which may present as small bumps on labia minora,

-yeast infection:this can also cause this type of lesions and can spread by skin to skin contact, but usually this will be associated with itching etc,

-rarely excessive folds on labia and accumulated discharge on them can be mistaken as bumps.

anyhow it is better that you once consult gynecologist and get examined, there is nothing wrong in it, virgin girls can also have gynecologic complaints, if you hesitate it may lead to serious problem, so take help of your parents and consult doctor to confirm the cause and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.