Having slight pain in ear after cleaning. Suggest some remedy

ENT Specialist
I was trying to clean my ear using a cotton swab after putting waxonil, but the ear got blocked more. Now I am having slight pain near the ear drum. I get severe pain (a sudden shock) when some of the air trapped in stomach after meals comes out.
Please suggest a remedy.

Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

The pain in the ear following cleaning could be due to swelling of the impacted ear wax.

Waxonil used could have caused swelling of the ear wax. The wax thus swollen exerts pressure over the canal skin causing excruciating pain. Secondly, use of ear buds would have pushed the wax further XXXXXXX into the canal thus causing excruciating pain.

My advice to you is to take some pain killers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac which are available over the counter. And, consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and management. Henceforth, do not use ear buds to clean the ear.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Having slight pain in ear after cleaning. Suggest some remedy 10 minutes later

I dont think the use of painkillers is needed as I am not experiencing any consistent pain. It only spikes up during the air passage as I mentioned above.

Also, the ear canal seems to open up occasionally during some jaw movements or stretching of pinna; but closes quickly. So you think this could go away in a few days if left to heal up by itself ?

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing back

The canal opens and shuts on movement of the pinna or jaw because of the presence of impacted earwax. This will definitely become normal once the swelling of the cerumen reduces.

My advice to you is to consult an ENT specialist at the earliest and get the wax removed. This will open up your canal completely and you will be totally relieved of the discomfort.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon