Having skin problem which looks like ringworm and lyme disease. How to differentiate between them?

Question
My wife has something that looks like both ring worm and lyme disease - how can I tell the difference?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later

Thanks for the question.
It is often hard to tell the difference between Lyme disease or Ringworm rash.

Ringworm rash is reddish, inflamed, scaly or crusty and raised up rings .In early stage ringworm rash appears like spots or dots, later on taking a circular shape. This is due to the fact that the middle regions of the disk shaped patches begin to heal, while the periphery of the patches continues to expand. Itching is more of a feature of ringworm rash. There are no other symptoms like fever or joint pain associated with ringworm.

Lymhe disease usually appears as a central spot surrounded by clear skin that is surrounded by an expanding red rash to form the appearance of a bulls eye or occasionally as a solid red blotch with a lighter center. They can vary as to how light or dark in appearance they present themselves.
Lyme Disease rash is not usually painful or itchy. Rash is not raised above the skin and is not scaly or crusty in appearance.
Other symptoms Lyme associated with the rash including joint and muscle pain, fatigue, headaches, cognitive dysfunctions.

It may not be always possible for you to differentiate between these two rashes and so you might need help of your doctor.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having skin problem which looks like ringworm and lyme disease. How to differentiate between them? 7 hours later
Can I submit a picture of the rash?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 45 minutes later
Please attach the picture on our website.
If some how that is not possible, then post it on some picture sharing site and provide me the link.

Follow-up: Having skin problem which looks like ringworm and lyme disease. How to differentiate between them? 28 minutes later
try this link - top of the wall.

WWW.WWWW.WW

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 minute later
Can you please add few more photos with better resolution?

Also tell me more about your symptoms? Are there scaly and elevated edges?

Follow-up: Having skin problem which looks like ringworm and lyme disease. How to differentiate between them? 22 minutes later
That's the best I have at the moment. If I rub my hand over it, it is raised. It is very very itchy. She describes it as very dry skin. It get lighter in the morning and gets redder through out the day (mainly because of scratching)

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 14 minutes later
Okay. I will vote in favor of Lyme disease.The rash looks like bull's eye.Red in the center then clear skin and again reddish at edges.

Follow-up: Having skin problem which looks like ringworm and lyme disease. How to differentiate between them? 4 days later
I just wanted to let you know it was ring worm.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Thanks for follow up.

Regards.