Having sinus problems. Woke up with pain in the face,jaw and gums. Tooth chipped off while eating. Abscess of tooth or sinus problem?

For about three weeks I have been having allergy/sinus problems. A few days ago I was eating popcorn and a piece of my top molar tooth chipped off. It did not hurt at all and has not bothered me at all. This morning I woke up with the right side of my nose completely stopped up and the right side of my face has a lot of pressure and throbbing pain, especially my jaw, in my gums above and around the tooth that chipped, the right side of my nose and my right ear? Does this sound like and abscess tooth or sinus infection?

Also a lot of pain in the glands on the right side of my throat.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It is very unlikely to be a tooth abscess and the chipping off of your molar tooth took place three weeks back. As you mention that you have sinus problem it is more likely acute inflammation of right side maxillary sinus which can also explain swelling of the draining lymph nodes on your right side of the throat. I suggest you immediately consult your doctor who shall put you on a course of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and get you investigated.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. You can revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal