Having sinus pressure on forehead, neck pain and dizziness. Citrobacter koseri found in the test. Taking Cipro. Need permanent cure?

Question
Hi, I am having Sinus pressure on my forehead, neck pain, dizziness etc. It is there for more than a year now. Recently doctor did a test on infection specimen and found that I have citrobacter koseri and he put me on cipro 750 mg twice a day. I am taking this for a month without any much improvement. any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The infection of sinuses with citrbacter koseri can be effectively controlled by ciprofloxacin in most of the cases.
But often the pressure in the sinuses and other symptoms are due to the inflammation of the sinuses associated with the infection and is late to subside.
In such cases saline nasal spray helps in clearing of the mucus. A potent steroid nasal spray (such as Fluticasone) and an anti-inflammatory medicine may also be needed. You can discuss these options with your ENT specialist.

Apart from this you need to do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, drink plenty of warm water, and avoid coffee, smoking and chilled food.

Even after using the above medications if you are not improving, you need to get nasal endoscopy done to examine the inner part of the nose and CT scan of the paranasal sinuses if required.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Having sinus pressure on forehead, neck pain and dizziness. Citrobacter koseri found in the test. Taking Cipro. Need permanent cure? 8 hours later
Thanks for your suggestion. My GP mentioned that I should not take cipro for so long, so I stopped this after a month. Do you suggest me a saline nasal spray or steroid spray? Which anti-inflammatory medicine do you want me to take and how often. Also could you please let me know how should I take steam inhalation? Should I worry about meningitis and all? I asked the same because of the name of the bacteria specimen.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
In the absence of symptoms like headache and neck rigidity, meningitis is an extremely unlikely possibility. Your symptoms are mild and are not worrisome.
To combat the inflammation of sinuses, using a steroid nasal spray like triamcinolone or fluticasone twice daily for a fortnight will be helpful. Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest that you consult your treating physician for the same.
For steam inhalation, take hot water in a vessel and put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket/towel. Make sure that you keep yourself warm after this and you don’t expose yourself to any sudden change in temperature.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having sinus pressure on forehead, neck pain and dizziness. Citrobacter koseri found in the test. Taking Cipro. Need permanent cure? 4 hours later
I have one more question. I too had a neck pain from the same time, it comes and goes. My neck makes weird sound when I move my head from right to left, and the movement of neck got a little slower and I find difficulty when moving my neck a little extreme on either side. Do you think it could be meningitis? My MRI came good 5 months back, does meningitis show up in MRI?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

The neck pain and the associated symptoms are not likely to be meningitis. It might probably be due to mild spondylottic changes in the cervical spine - age related degenerative changes of spine.

Meningitis is difficult to detect on MRI. Examination of cerebrospinal fluid is a more specific investigation for diagnosis.

Hope this answers the query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries.

Take care and Regards.