Having sinus infection, elevated WBC count and having low grade fever. Should I be worried about WBC count?

i have been sick with a sinus infection and have constantly had elevated wbc counts, usually over 11,000. today my blood work came back and my wbc count was almost 17,000. last week, even with this infection, it was 12,500. im only running a low grade fever, 99.2 but am constantly exhausted and am a smoker trying to quit. my wbc has been elevated over 10,000 for over a year. is there reason to be concerned/
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Test result quality, Sinus X rays, ENT specialist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Raised white blood cells are for sure an indication of an infectious process. the very rapid changes in the values of the white blood cells raise some concern. It is very sure to ascertain the correctness and quality of the test results. It is better to carry out the test under similar conditions in a good laboratory. Considering that the results you present reflect the reality, it is worthwhile to reevaluate the state of the sinuses. It might be of interest to do special X rays to ascertain the integrity of the sinuses. Collection of pus in the sinus system could explain the persistence of raised white blood cells. In case pus is detected, surgical drainage could be the main answer to this situation, in order to avoid other chronic complications (meningitis, infection of the bones, etc). The pus collected could be sent to the laboratory for culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests. Getting a complete review by an ENT specialist is my opinion. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. I shall be glad and honored to offer my humble contribution. Wishing you good health and kind regards. Dr Rogers