Having shoulder pain, feeling restless and unable to sleep at night. How to avoid this?

Oncologist, Radiation
I have a bad pain on the left side of the shoulder which make me restless and also i am unable to sleep at night.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 51 minutes later

I can understand your concern; I would like to have some information for better understanding of the problem.
-How long do you suffer from this pain?
-What time of the day pain intensity increases?
-Is there any aggravating or relieving factor?
-Is there any signs of inflammation like increased temperature, swelling, erythema?
-Do you suffer from fever?
- Have you experience pain in other sites of body? or other joints?
- Have you got any injury in recent time?
- Is there any problem in elevation of arm over the head or in activities like combing hair.
-Please mention if you have any movement restriction in shoulder joint.
-Can you carry objects with the affected hand?

Do you have X-ray and/or MRI of the affected shoulder? I would like to see the reports if you have them. You may upload the reports using this site's uploader.

Keep me posted for follow up.
Follow-up: Having shoulder pain, feeling restless and unable to sleep at night. How to avoid this? 2 days later

Thank you for the response.

-I have this pain mostly at the night time(bed time)when my body is relaxed. So, i generally apply Relief spar or moove so that i can have a peaceful sleep which actually helps me.
There is no signs of inflammation like increased temperature, swelling, erythema. Also, i do not suffer from fever. Also, i do not face pains on teh other joins of the body. Sometime, i feel pain below the knee area til the toe. It might be because of the weight. Also, i do not have any restricted movements. I work for almost 9hrs in fron of system.

I have not got any injuries, also i can carry any heavy objects.

Let me know if you require further information.
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up.

You have provided the information in detail. As you have no systemic signs like fever, other joints involvement serious systemic diseases are excluded. Since there no signs of inflammation at the shoulder joint so any infection can be ruled out.

You have mentioned typical feature of aggravation of pain at night which is relieved on medication.
This history is suggestive of benign bone disease like Osteoid osteoma, Dehydration, stressed muscle, Nutritional deficiency as well. It is important to rule out the osteoma and muscle problems by consulting nearest Orthopedic Surgeon. However ample electrolyte (water with pinch of salt) intake will prevent dehydration and stress to the muscles. Natural and fresh food will build up the vitamins and minerals.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon. I will be available for follow up.