Having shoulder pain, back pain and discoloration of skin below breasts. Should I rely on X-ray?

Dr. XXXXX: I am concerned that my father had lung cancer. Is it enough to have an x-ray once a year As a screening? I have a morning slight cough, always clearing my throat and have had shoulder pain and migrating back Pain off and on in the last year. I have a discoloration of skin below my breasts --- a darker brown. My doctor said not anything. Should I rely on the x-ray and stop worrying?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: LOW Dose radiation CT scan is new guideline for US Detailed Answer: Hi, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. There is a history of Lung cancer in your family, and you want to be ascertain beforehand if there is formation of same type of lesions on you too. For those purpose, routine screening is best method for seeing a mass in lung if at all it is forming. There are various guidelines of lung cancer screening procedure which changes from time to time, country to country based on various research journal findings and references. The latest guidelines recommends that certain people at high risk for lung cancer get a low-dose CT scan every year. CT Scan is a better test than A simple chest X-Ray, as it can provide precise information about the size, shape, and position of any lung tumors and can help find enlarged lymph nodes that might contain cancer that has spread from the lung. Your all other complains like morning cough, skin discoloration below breasts, needs further evaluation for its cause. For complains about shoulder pain radiating to back, you are advised to have a USG scan of your abdomen to see if there is any lesion in Liver as pain in liver membrane and gall bladder pain mostly refers to back. You should DEFINITELY not rely on X-Ray alone, And advised to have CT Scan on routine basis, maybe once yearly, as per new United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) guidelines. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS