Having shoulder pain and burning sensation on both sides of body. How to treat this?

Nov 2013

For about six months, I've had left shoulder/trapezius pain. The trapezius pain is a burning sensation on both sides of my body. The shoulder pain comes and goes; sometimes get a sharp pain shooting down my arm through my wrist, hand, index, and middle fingers.

What are possible causes?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause for your symptoms is cervical radiculopathy.

In this condition, the nerves arising from the cervical spinal cord, which travel from the neck region to shoulder, arm, forearm, hand, fingers, get compressed at the level of neck. The usual cause of compression is a bulging of disc (soft tissue located between the vertebrae of spine).

In addition to causing pain in arm, forearm, hand and fingers, it can also cause tingling and numbness in the same regions.

The diagnosis can be confirmed with MRI of the cervical spine.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad