Having shortness of breath while climbing. What could be the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I am having shortness of breath when I am climbing stairs.. I am able to do 35 mins on threadmill and 20 mins on Elliptical.. Where I am not facing problem with my breath. How ever when I climb 40 -50 steps on staircase I am feeling some kind of breath shortness.. Can you please let me know what exactly is the issue with me.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
I have undergone your blood reports. Your vitamin B12, 25-OH vitamin D is low while ESR is raised. ESR is a non-specific test and indicates some sort of chronic disease is going on.
The walking will raise your heart rate slightly, and will be a relatively gentle work out.
Climbing stairs will raise your heart rate more, and will help build up the strength in your legs.
Walking up stairs provides numerous health benefits, including cardiovascular exercise which helps condition your heart muscle.
When you climb stairs your heart muscle has to work harder to provide oxygen to the large working muscles of the legs. If you climb stairs regularly, a minimum of three times a week for 30 minutes each session, your heart muscle will permanently adapt to this stress and become more efficient.
I think this will solve your query.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath while climbing. What could be the problem? 22 hours later
Doctor XXXXXXX

Thanks for the information. How ever I have not seen your recommendations on the issue. What should I do for raised ESR ? What are your suggestions on my medical blood report ? Do you recommend any medical tests for ESR and anything on my blood report ?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 19 minutes later
As such no therapy is available for correction of ESR. ESR is corrected itself if any chronic disease (persisting in your body) is corrected.
As you are heart patient and suffering hypertension, in such cases ESR may raised.
For low vitamin B 12 level you should take multivitamin tablets containing methylcobalamin 1500 micro gram.
For low 25 OH vitamin D3, you can take cholecalciferol sachet/ tablet once in a week with 1/2 glass of milk for 2 months.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath while climbing. What could be the problem? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor

Good Evening.

I am not a heart patient and also I don't have BP. I am not sure why you got this information. I have mentioned below only.
"Except Cervical Spondylosis to my knowledge I am not having any health issues. How ever I am not able to run on the thread mill.. Can do brish walk. I am weighing 76 Kgs with 5 feet and 4 inch height. I am non alcoholic and non smoker XXXXXXX
Please let me know if I need to do anything for ESR issue.

XXXXXXX

Sorry for misinterpretation. I read it from your selected category ans assumed it as your disease.
as you are asymptomatic, You should go for repeat test after 6 weeks.
There are multiple test available and its not a good strategy to go for all test despite your asymptomatic status.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank