Having shortness of breath, feeling tired. Found fluctuating white blood count. Is this an infection?

Hi, I became unwell last august short of breath tired no energy, then in November got really sick white blood cell count was up at 12 and 13 went back to eight after six weeks spent two sittin on couch wit no energy after this illness, got bloods done again recently white cells up at twelve and neutrophils at 9.8 still got no energy and tired doctor said she will recheck again in month could this be an infection getting worried at this stage
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Fluctuations in white blood counts may be due to infection. However in this condition it is not definitive that there is infection. Because there is only weakness , no fever or chills or tachycardia.
I would suggest please consult a board certified haematologist for detailed evaluation because there are many causes for such blood picture . Few of them are benign and few are serious.
I want to know one thing is there any history of drug abuse , as you have chosen this category but no such medical history mentioned.?

Looking forward for your response.