Having shortness of breath, difficulty breathing after meals. ECG showed sinus arrythmia and sinus braycardia. Suggest?

I've been having shortness of breath, difficulty breathing (not as bad now) after eating certain meals, and moderate exercising, walks.

ECG a month ago showed sinus arrythmia, 2 days later normal. An ECG 2 weeks later showed sinus braycardia..
BP first test was between 125-135/85, second time 144/85 and hb in low 40's.
recently pb was 110/80.
Chest CT came clear, heart stress test did not require a follow up...though I have not seen the results.

Any idea what can be causing this, and if this is something serious where I should see a heart specialist?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need a cardiac ultrasound/heart echography

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is almost certain that you got a problem with the heart. Shortness of breath is very characteristic of heart failure, especially when associated with effort. Low heart rate, as low as 40 needs exclusion of a problem with the pacemaker of the heart (Sinoartrial node) and other electrical transmission bundles in the heart to be evaluated. A key examination that you deserve is a cardiac (heart) ultrasound and 24 hour monitoring of the heart rate and rhythm.

It could be interesting to know if you also have any past history of heart disease in the family, any notion of swelling of your limbs and night coughs.

You need to book an appointment in the nearest reference hospital in your area to see a cardiologist. I think it is serious enough and deserves some urgent medical attention. While awaiting to see your cardiologist, your electrolyte abnormalities (Calcium, Potassium and Sodium) to start adequate therapy. A low salt diet might be one of the most important crucial life style modifications as you await to see a heart specialist (cardiologist).

You shall be able to book for a heart specialist/cardiologist in all or almost all reference hospitals. Your primary care physician shall be of utmost help. A cardiac/heart ultrasound is urgently required.

Thanks and kind regards. feel free asking any further questions for clarification if need be. Wishing you good health.

Bain LE, MD